FAQ (En)

Q: When and where will the annual conference take place?

A: The CCA annual conference is held during the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences Congress (http://www.fedcan.ca), a gathering of scholarly associations from across the country. The Congress usually takes place between late-May to early-June at a Canadian university and the call for paper is usually released in the Fall with the specific dates.

Q: How do I submit a paper proposal to the CCA conference?

A: The submission system can be accessed via the Submit a Proposal link on this website when the system is available (October to December). We only accept proposals submitted through this system.

Q: What should I expect to pay in order to attend the conference?

A: There are three different fees participants need to pay to attend the annual conference:

1. CCA membership. All attendees, including speakers, presenters, co-authors, panelists, roundtable participants and those chairing or attending a session, need to be paid members of CCA by March 15 to be included in the final program and attend the annual meeting. Membership dues are not refundable, even if you choose not to attend the conference.

2. Congress fees. All attendees must also pay the Congress fees to the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and the Social Sciences. This is administered by the Federation and not by CCA. The revenue collected from the Congress fees supports the long term development of Congress and to keep the annual meeting format viable by ensuring that infrastructure and services are in place from year to year. Fees can be paid online in advance through the Congress website or on site.

3. CCA Conference fees. When you register for Congress, you will be asked to select your organization. Please select the Canadian Communication Association as well as the member status. This fees cover the costs of rooms, catering and the reception during the annual conference.

Do not select non-member categories when you register with Congress. The non-member options will not pay for your annual membership with CCA, which is mandatory to present your paper at the conference.

Q: Do I need to be a member of CCA to submit a paper proposal to the conference?

A: No, you may submit (for instance in December) and wait for a confirmation of your acceptation before paying your membership in the following year.

Q: What are the different types of presentations?

A: There are four different types of presentations:

a) Single paper presentations

Presentations must be between 15-20 minutes long. The conference organizers will organize papers into panels of three or four participants. You do not need to submit your paper to the panel chair in advance.

b) Multi paper presentations

You may submit a pre-constituted panel with no more than four presenters, or three presenters and a respondent. The panel convener submits a proposal for the panel but all presenters must also submit their abstract individually. All presenters must submit abstracts separately and include the panel title in the abstract information on the form.

c) Roundtable or Workshop

Less formal panel presentations include no more than five presenters, or four presenters and a convener. Formal papers are not given, instead each presenter offers brief comments and the emphasis is on group discussion. This format is best for topics on professional development. It is expected that the majority of presenters will be professors or well-established professionals.

Q: May I submit two papers?

A: No. You may only present one formal paper at the conference. You may also present another co-authored paper, but only if the other authors are present. You can, however, also act as a respondent on a panel or participant on a workshop or roundtable. Therefore, you may only submit one abstract for consideration. If you submit multiple abstracts, you will be asked to withdraw all but one. The organizing committee will not make the decision for you.

Q: May I request audio-visual technologies?

A: Yes, if you require any special equipment for your presentation, it is imperative that you make the request at the same time as you submit your proposal. Audiovisual support will include a data projector and screen only. Participants are required to provide their own laptops, and any additional equipment.

Q: Can you help me with travel or accommodation reservations?

A: The CFHSS distributes a Congress registration guide that is also available on their website. It includes information about travel, accommodation, and special events. In general, especially when Congress is held in smaller cities, accommodations fill up quickly so you are encouraged to make your travel plans well in advance.

Q: I published a book this year and wish to display it at the CCA. Is this possible?

A: Generally, there are tables available at the CCA annual meeting for displaying books published recently by CCA authors. If you or your publisher wishes to display books, please contact us at acc.cca.ca@gmail.com. We will ask you to send copies in advance.

Q: Do you provide financial assistance?

A: The CCA has limited funds to help defray the travel costs of student participants. Students who wish to apply for this financial assistance can download an application form from the website. Payment can only be made after Congress and only after receipts and the completed application form have been received by the treasurer.

Q: I was asked to chair a panel. What does this entail?

A: See instructions here.

Q: Who should I contact I have any special requests?

A: Please email us at acc.cca.ca@gmail.com if you have any requests. Special requests for scheduling cannot be taken into consideration unless there is a compelling reason (i.e., medical, family emergency, conflict with another presentation).

Q: I was not able to attend the conference, could you reimburse my membership?

A: Unfortunately no.